Adult ADHD and You Tips
Tips to help you and your family deal with the challenges of ADHD.
ADHD Tips >
Expert Q & A
Our expert team of doctors and pharmacists answer questions about ADHD.
Click Here for Answers >

Will I Take Stimulants for Adult ADHD?

Are stimulants the only way to treat adult ADHD? What if I can't or don't want to take a stimulant?

Related Questions


There are several treatment options for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults. Stimulants are some of the most commonly used and most effective treatments, but it is important to work with your healthcare provider to find the treatment that is best for you.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy for those with ADHD, either with or without medication, can be helpful. In this type of therapy, a mental health professional works with individuals or groups to develop techniques to change problem behaviors, cope with stressful situations, gain social skills, and work on other problem areas.
If it is determined that medication is appropriate, a stimulant is usually prescribed first, unless there is good reason to avoid them (such as a heart condition). Stimulants tend to be quite effective in both children and adults and have been shown to improve attention while decreasing distractibility and impulsive behavior. It is not clear exactly how stimulants produce these effects. They are thought to work by increasing the level of a chemical messenger in the brain called dopamine.
Nonstimulant medications are also available for ADHD. It is not entirely clear how they work for this condition. Approved nonstimulant ADHD medications include:

Of these three nonstimulants, only one (Strattera) is approved for adult use. The others can be used "off-label" (in an unapproved fashion) for adult ADHD treatment.
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.