Adult ADHD and You Tips
Tips to help you and your family deal with the challenges of ADHD.
ADHD Tips >
Expert Q & A
Our expert team of doctors and pharmacists answer questions about ADHD.
Click Here for Answers >

Do I Need to See a Specialist for Adult ADHD?

Should I see an ADHD specialist to be diagnosed, or can I go to my regular doctor?

Related Questions


Your regular doctor will probably be just fine. Adult ADHD is being diagnosed more and more commonly these days, probably due to greater awareness of the condition, and your doctor is likely quite capable of diagnosing and treating the condition.
When might you want to see a specialist instead? See a specialist if there is some uncertainty about your diagnosis, if you've got other medical conditions that complicate the situation (say, for instance, bipolar disorder), or if your situation is in some other way trickier or riskier than average.
In the past, it was fairly common for young adults to continue to see their pediatricians for ADHD treatment, largely because the condition was still thought of as primarily a childhood disorder. However, that's not usually necessary, or wise, anymore. Adults should be seen by doctors who are trained and experienced in treating adults, not children. 
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.